As you prepare for your dinner on Christmas Day, here are some food safety tips.
- When purchasing groceries, check the expiry dates carefully.
- Inspect meat and fish thoroughly before purchasing.
- Clear eyes indicate that fish is fresh. If the flesh of a fillet fish is crumbling, do not buy it.
- Examine products using the natural lighting in the store rather than the LED lights that are in the refrigerators.
- Ensure that your food is stored at the correct temperature.
- Clean your refrigerator to make room for new foods by throwing out any perishables that have passed their ‘best before’ dates.
- Wash your hands after handling raw meat, poultry or fish, after using the toilet, and after handling pets and rubbish.
- Use separate knives to cut raw meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables to prevent cross-contamination.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking.
For more tips, you may contact
Consumer Affairs Commission
34 Trafalgar Road
Toll Free: 1-888-991-4470
Website : www.cac.gov.jm