A large part of the Jamaican Christmas is the wide variety of sumptuous foods that is usually available. However, due to dietary restrictions some persons are unable to partake of the delightful feasts.
Limiting portions and eating healthy substitutes are creative ways to ensure that persons can enjoy the food without negative consequences.
Here is a vegetarian recipe that those of you on a special diet may try. The recipe is taken from the Jamaica Information Service publication: Our Culinary Heritage.
2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic,
- Chopped piece of ginger root
- 1/4 lb of the following vegetables, chopped, sliced or grated: cauliflower, carrots, green beans, red pepper, celery, spring onions
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Juice of half of a lime
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- Heat the oil in a wok.
- Add garlic and ginger and fry for one minute.
- Add the vegetables, one type/kind at a time, starting with the hard ones and finishing with the leafy ones.
- Stir continuously.
- When the vegetables start to soften, sprinkle on the soy sauce and stir in the coconut milk.
- Continue cooking for a few minutes then add a squeeze of lime juice and hot pepper sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 4-5 persons