Groups from various sectors in Jamaica will be participating in beach clean-up activities. Why not organise your own beach clean-up for September 16 or at any other time throughout the year?
Here are some tips for planning a beach clean-up:
1. Visit the location proposed for the activity to determine its suitability.
2. Consider two factors when choosing allocation:
3. Secure the relevant permissions for access to the location before the beach clean-up.
4. Determine officially the number of persons who will be assisting in the clean-up, then invite and confirm volunteers.
5. Secure the equipment and safety gear for your volunteers which could include gloves, goggles, trash pickers, garbage bags of different colours for sorting, etc.
6. Make arrangements with the operators of a legitimate dumping site and/or recycling depot to drop off or pick up the items collected at the end of the day.
Additionally, the organiser should repeat safety guidelines for volunteers before the activities begin and keep a well-stocked first aid kit on-hand. Volunteers should be encouraged to:
• Wear protective clothing, and sturdy shoes.
• Apply sunblock and insect repellent.
• Have a balanced meal before the day’s activity
• Stay hydrated throughout
• Handle broken glass, syringes and other sharp objects, and bottles containing liquids with caution.
For additional information please contact the:
National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA)
11 Caledonia Avenue
Tel: (876) 754-7540