St. George’s Anglican
The St. George Anglican Church is so named because it was once the Parish Church of the former parish of St. George. In 1867, when Sir John Peter Grant (then Governor of the island), reduced the number of parishes from 22 to 14, St. George became part of the parish of Portland.
The Church, erected in 1814, is constructed of cut stone. The stones came from England as ballast in ships. Stained glass panel windows are used throughout the design. The entrance to the Church is through a solid raised panelled door, which forms the base of the tall castellated clock tower.
Not only is the Church among the many historical buildings found in the town of Buff Bay, but it is also the oldest building in the town.
Folly Point Lighthouse
The Folly Point Lighthouse was built in 1888. The Tower is constructed of masonry and is fire proof. It flashes a white light of 2 seconds duration followed by 8 seconds of darkness. The light is visible for a distance of thirteen miles.
The Titchfield Peninsula was the first place to be settled by the English, and is known as the oldest settlement of the town. It separates the East Harbour from the West Harbour. In the early stages the Peninsula was separated from the town centre at high tide until the area was later filled.
The buildings in the Titchfield Peninsula possess excellent examples of the architectural styles representing different periods in the formation and development of the town. They reflect Jamaican Georgian, Victorian New England, Cape Cod Victorian, Jamaican Vernacular and Victorian styles gingerbread. The predominant style is vernacular Architecture
The Titchfield Peninsula was designated protected National Heritage on the 16th April 1998.
In 1739 Cudjoe, Nanny’s brother, signed a peace treaty with the British. The Maroons thereby became the first group of blacks to succeed in gaining their freedom and having that freedom officially recognized. Nanny, at first refused to sign a treaty with the British but eventually agreed to a truce. Nanny’s Maroons, after the truce, divided themselves into two groups; one of which went with her Brother Quao to Crawford Town and the other group followed Nanny to a new settlement, New Nanny Town, now called Moore Town.
In each Maroon settlement was a white Superintendent whose job it was to maintain good relations between the Maroons and the British. The success of settlements like Moore Town depended to a large extent on the diplomatic skill of the Superintendent and Moore Town was fortunate in obtaining good ones. The most famous of these was Lt. George Fuller, an Englishman, who became the Acting Barracks’ master, and later Superintendent at Moore Town between 1809 and 1823. He also started the Fuller family through marriage with a Maroon girl.
Moore Town is today governed by a Colonel, a Maroon given the honorary title earned by his ancestors. The present Colonel of the Town is Colonel Sterling.
Built in 1881, DeMontevin Lodge is an eclectic mix of the Victorian architectural style, with gingerbread details. The building’s decorative ironwork was designed and cast in Scotland. Inside, lavishly carved mouldings surround the doorways and tray ceilings draw the eye upward.
The house was built by the Hon. David Gideon, who became Custos of Portland in 1923. DeMontevin Lodge is now operated as a guest house.
Many distinguished individuals have visited DeMontevin Lodge.
In 1923 Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, Duchess of York, subsequently referred to as “Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother” stayed at DeMontevin and in 1953 and 1966, Queen Elizabeth II visited.
Since 1953, the room where Queen Elizabeth II stayed was named the Queen’s room.
Some of Jamaica’s distinguished statesmen as well as other celebrities have also spent time at the house.
Heritage Sites by Parish