An earthquake can strike at any time, so it is important prepare as best as possible.
- Secure heavy furniture, such as bookcases and storage cabinets by bolting them to the floor and wall.
- Place larger and heavier items on lower shelves.
- Bolt water heaters and other large appliances to the floor.
- Abide by building codes that require earthquake resistant building construction.
Stock up on supplies
- Store non-perishable food items and clean water.
- Set aside flashlights, first aid kits and radios for use after an earthquake.
- Have an adequate supply of necessary medications.
- Set aside a kit of tools, such as rope, plastic sheeting and a shovel, to help with rescue efforts, if necessary.
Be in the know
- Teach family members how to avoid injury and panic.
- Ensure that everyone knows where to find main switches for gas, electricity and water, and that they know how to turn them off.
For more information, contact:
Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM)
2-4 Haining Road
Kingston 5, Jamaica, W I
Tel: (876) 906-9674-5 or (876) 754-9077-8
Toll Free: 1-888-225-5637