The Christmas season is now upon us, and many will be in pursuit of various items to help celebrate the period. It is advisable that consumers shop in a way that will protect their safety, get good value for money and use time wisely.
- Be careful when using credit cards. Guard your PIN carefully to avoid possible theft of your information.
- Do not shop over public Wi-Fi networks. These are usually unsecure and could leave you vulnerable to cyber criminals looking to defraud you.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Secure your purchases and be on the lookout for suspicious persons, to lessen the chance of being robbed.
Getting Good Value
- Make a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending.
- Where possible, read product reviews before purchasing an item. Reviews can help you to decide whether the product is suitable for you.
- Compare different prices on an item to determine the best one.
- Shop a little at a time. Extended shopping trips may cause you to lose track of how much you are spending.
- Keep a log of how much you are spending.
- Take advantage of rewards programmes offered by some stores. You may be able to redeem free items or store credit.
- Ask for discounts.
Using Time Wisely
- If possible, shop on weekdays, when stores are least crowded.
- Shop online.
- Plan shopping trips to work out the best route for visiting multiple stores.
- Make a list of items you intend to buy in order of priority. You may be able to forgo some items that are low on the list.
For more information, please contact the:
Consumer Affairs Commission (CAC)
34 Trafalgar Road
Toll Free: 1-888-991-4470
Telephone: 876-906-5425, 876-619-4222