- Wigton Windfarm comprises two phases: Wigton I (20.7 MW installed in 2004 at a cost of US$26 Million) and Wigton II (18 MW installed in 2010 at a cost of US$47.5 Million).
- At approximately 30% capacity factor, the projected annual outputs are 97.5GWH and 76,291 metric tonnes of CERs respectively.
- Wigton is in the process of developing a Wigton III project of capacity 24 MW.
- To be the premier renewable energy company in Jamaica, involved in the development, installation and promulgation of wind and photovoltaic grid tied systems.
- To operate the business profitably and, in doing so, act as a catalyst for encouraging other entrants into the industry.
- To operate in an environmentally friendly manner and be a good corporate citizen.
- To foster and train persons in renewable energy and so develop a cadre of experts which would see the building of technical capacity in Jamaica and regionally.
- Demonstrate viable renewable energy (RE) enterprises. Lobby for RE policies, while maintaining profitable business, delivering clean energy and promoting environmentally friendly benefits.
- To expand wind capacity in order to achieve a critical mass and economies of scale, thereby bringing down unit costs and increasing profitability of the wind energy business.
- To aid in the fulfilment of Government Of Jamaica’s objectives for increased renewable energy penetration to 30% by 2030.
Wigton has the following strengths to support its objectives:
- Human capacity for proper management of existing plant and for planning and executing future expansions.
- Expertise at operating largest wind farm in the English speaking Caribbean at world class standard
- Expansion potential to give economies of scale, which would result in increased profitability and enhanced return on investment
- Capacity to parlay human resources for training which has the potential to give a third income stream and be the catalyst for renewable energy development in the country and the region
- Proven track record in corporate citizenship at the community level, e.g. at schools and local police stations. ,
Wigton is operated by a Management Team & a Board of Directors. The corporate office is located at 36 Trafalgar Road, Kingston 10. There are 6 members of staff at the Kingston office. The Windfarm complex is located in Rose Hill, Manchester where there is a team of 7 including Engineers, Technicians, and an administrator/tour coordinator.