JIS News

An additional $1.2 billion has been allocated in the 2013/14 Estimates of Expenditure, to continue the rehabilitation of infrastructure across the Kingston Metropolitan Area (KMA), which was damaged during the passage of Tropical Storm Sandy in 2010.

The work, being implemented by the Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing, under the Tropical Storm Nicole – KMA Drainage Project, seeks to restore and protect critical sections of damaged infrastructure; reduce challenges and vulnerabilities; and improve flood mitigation efforts.

Activities undertaken between November 2010, when the project started, and February 2013, included completion of 60 per cent of the scheduled drainage rehabilitation works. The remaining 40 per cent is being targeted for completion during 2013/14.

The project, being jointly funded by the Government of Jamaica and the Caribbean Development bank, is slated for completion in August.

The Estimates will be considered by the Standing Finance Committee of the House of Representatives, beginning April 9.

By Douglas McIntosh, JIS Reporter

Skip to content