- The Commissioners took the Oath of Office before former Chief Justice of Jamaica, Hon. Mr. Justice Lensley Wolfe, (ret’d) OJ, JP.
- Immediately after the swearing-in, the Commissioners, Secretary to the Commission and Legal Counsel convened their preliminary meeting to chart the way forward for the Enquiry.
The Full Story
The three Commissioners who will preside over the West Kingston Commission of Enquiry were sworn in on Friday August 29, 2014 at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel.
The Commissioners who took the Oath of Office before former Chief Justice of Jamaica, Hon. Mr. Justice Lensley Wolfe, (ret’d) OJ, JP, are: Chairman, Retired Chief Justice and former Attorney General of Barbados Sir David Simmons; Retired Judge of the Court of Appeal of Jamaica, Mrs. Justice Hazel Harris, CD; and Director of the Institute of Criminal Justice and Security, University of the West Indies, Professor Anthony Harriott.
Also present at the swearing in were Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice, Mrs. Carol Palmer, Secretary to Commission, Mrs. Maria Jones, its Senior Legal Counsel, Mr. Garth McBean, QC and Junior Legal Counsel Mrs. Simone Mayhew.
Based on its Terms of Reference, the Commissioners have been charged with, among other things, enquiring into:
- whether the rights of any person or persons were violated in any of the affected or related communities by either law enforcement officers or by anyone else and, if so, whose rights were violated, and the manner and extent of such violations, and by whom such violations were perpetrated.
- the circumstances under which, and by whom, several Police Stations and other state property (including police or military vehicles) were attacked and damaged or destroyed by firebombs, gunfire or other means during or around the period of the State of Emergency declared in May 2010;
- the conduct of operations by the security forces of Jamaica in Tivoli Gardens and related areas during the said State of Emergency in the month of May 2010; and
Immediately after the swearing-in, the Commissioners, Secretary to the Commission and Legal Counsel convened their preliminary meeting to chart the way forward for the Enquiry, which is expected to get underway shortly.
They have been asked to conclude their enquiry within three (3) months after commencement, and make a full report and recommendations concerning the events surrounding the May 2010 West Kingston incursion and submit same to Governor General His Excellency the Most Honourable Sir Patrick Allen within two (2) months after concluding the Enquiry.