JIS News

KINGSTON — Former State Minister in the Ministry of National Security, Dr. St. Aubyn Bartlett, has reported that over the last year, no one escaped from the island’s correctional facilities.

“In terms of persons who have sought to abscond, we have had none also over the last year and that is indeed a very important milestone that we must celebrate,” he said.

Dr. Bartlett  was speaking at a press conference at the Department of Correctional Services (DCS) in Kingston on October  21, to launch its week of activities, which is being observed from October 23 to 29 under the theme: ‘Strengthening Families: Enabling Rehabilitation and Reintegration’.

He commended the staff of the DCS, especially the Correctional Officers, for their sterling contribution over the years.

Dr. Bartlett said, training of the officers has been a priority within the Department, and this is being carried out consistently to ensure that the officers are aware of best practices regarding conduct.

“We have trained 150 Correctional Officers and we have another 150 in training and that will boost the level of services provided (within the Department),” he said.

In the meantime, Dr. Bartlett said all boys previously held in lockups and those held at the Horizon Adult Remand Centre are being housed at the accepted facility -the Metcalfe Street Juvenile Remand Centre. The facility currently houses 139 persons.

 

By Chris Patterson, JIS Reporter

Skip to content