School Year Gets Underway With Few Hitches


Chief Education Officer in the Ministry of Education, Grace McLean, is reporting that the 2010-2011 academic year got underway with few hitches, with at least 98 per cent of schools fully re-opened.
“The reports have been coming in from the Regions and so far we have had a very smooth start. There are very few incidents that have been reported and we are treating with them, and in terms of the completion of the delivery of textbooks in a few cases, this will be sorted out today,” she told JIS News in an interview.
“I would like to commend our teachers, parents as well as the Ministry officials, who have all worked exceptionally hard to ensure that the school year is off to a smooth start,” Mrs. McLean said.
The Chief Education Officer explained that the schools which had not fully re-opened would have had students at different grades. “There are some schools that had at least half of the students reporting today [September 6] and others will be reporting tomorrow,” she pointed out.
Mrs. McLean said there was a break in at a school in Region One (Kingston and St. Andrew) over the weekend and this hampered the re-opening, in terms of the students and teachers settling in, and the Ministry was working to deal with that situation.
In the meantime, Mrs. McLean is appealing to all stakeholders to help in keeping the children safe.
“I wish the students all the best for the new school year and ask that our parents as well as the community protect the children, because they are very important to the success of this country,” she said.
Approximately 1,000 primary and high schools would have re-opened on September 6.

JIS Social