- The Junction main road was damaged during Tropical Storm Sandy
- Several members of the community benefitted from employment
State Minister for Transport, Works and Housing, Hon. Richard Azan, says that work to repair a section of the Junction main road in St. Mary, which was damaged during Tropical Storm Sandy last year, is now 95 per cent complete.
Mr. Azan, who was on a tour of the site on July 15, said the work, which began in March this year, is being undertaken at a cost of approximately $30 million, through funding under the Capital A budget, which had special provision for Hurricane Sandy repairs.
Explaining the scope of the damage, the State Minister informed that a part of the “diamond”, which helps to protect the embankment from the raging waters of the Wag Water River was damaged as a result of Sandy, thereby undermining the entire structure and causing a section of the road to collapse. “We were able to start the work this year to replace the diamond,” he said.
The State Minister noted that some amount of river training was done to “change the river course from the side of the diamond to bring it back to the other section of the land.”
“I can say that we have done a good job here. The engineers are satisfied with the job,” he said.
Mr. Azan also informed that several members of the community benefitted from employment on the project on a rotational basis.
During April, a section of the road was temporarily closed by the National Works Agency (NWA) to facilitate the repairs.
A detour was established just beyond the Castleton Police Station travelling in the direction of Devon Pen. With most of the work now complete, motorists could be seen using the original roadway once again.