KINGSTON — A Ministerial Committee, to review the recommendations of the report of the National Commission on Ganja, has been established by Prime Minister, the Hon. Bruce Golding.
Speaking at April 6 post-Cabinet press briefing at Jamaica House, Minister with responsibility for Information, Telecommunications and Special Projects, Hon. Daryl Vaz, informed that the committee will be chaired by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Hon. Dr. Kenneth Baugh.
The other members are:
· Attorney General and Minister of Justice – Senator, the Hon. Dorothy Lightbourne
· Minister of Health – Hon. Rudyard Spencer
· Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries – Hon. Dr. Christopher Tufton
· Minister of Youth, Sports and Culture – Hon. Olivia Grange
· Minister of National Security- Senator, the Hon. Dwight Nelson.
Minister Vaz informed that the committee will submit a report, with recommendations, to Cabinet.
The National Commission on Ganja, chaired by late University of the West Indies Professor, Barry Chevannes, was convened in 2001 to look into the reform of ganja laws.
By CHRIS PATTERSON, JIS Reporter