Advertisement
JIS News

Thirty four kilometres of roadway between May Pen and Trout Hall, in Clarendon, is to be repaired at a cost of US$27.7 million (J$2.5 billion).
The Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) Fund for International Development (OFID) will provide US$20 million (J$1.7 billion), representing 72 per cent of the budget, with the Government financing the remaining 28 per cent in the sum of US$7.7 million (J$677 million).
According to a document on Roads and Infrastructure, tabled in the House of Representatives this week by Minister of Transport and Works, Hon. Michael Henry, the works, which are slated to get underway during the first quarter of the 2010/11 fiscal year, will include: geometric realignment of the road; reduction of the corners; improved drainage; gabion protection works; reinforced masonry walls; and improvement in traffic management.
Engineering designs have been completed and a submission is currently being finalised for Cabinet, in respect of the acquisition of properties, being done in tandem with the NLA.
The works, for which contractors are currently being pre-qualified, are expected to improve safety and reduce travel time by 30 per cent.
Work on another OFID-funded project, the A.G.S Coombs Highway (Bogue) Project in Montego Bay St. James, currently underway, is slated to continue until March 2010.
According to the document, work on the development, valued $1.39 billion, and which commenced in April, will result in the dualisation of a section of the corridor between the Montego River bridge and the Reading intersection. The project also includes: rehabilitation of the Fairfield Road, and corrective works to the approaches of five bridges along Segment One of the North Coast Highway.
To date, repairs to the approaches of three of the bridges have been completed, while work is taking place on the Probyn Bridge in Green Island, Hanover. Additionally, embankment work is being carried out along the roadway between the Pye River Cemetery and the Reading intersection in Montego Bay.
The document states that collaboration is taking place with the utility companies to ensure the efficient removal of encumbrances and, in the case of the National Water Commission (NWC), the laying/replacement of water and sewer lines.
Acquisition of some 21 parcels of land is being negotiated, with savings of over $60 million already realised through arrangements made with at least one landowner.

Skip to content