JIS News

KINGSTON – Consultant Adviser to the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice, Marcia Beverley, was called back to the witness chair as the Commission of Enquiry into the extradition of Christopher “Dudus” Coke continued at the Jamaica Conference Centre, downtown Kingston on Tuesday March 22).

Under cross examination by Attorney-at-Law, Lord Anthony Gifford, who is representing the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Mrs. Beverley testified that a book that is used to record the signatures of persons entrusted with extradition documents to take to the DPP's office has been missing.

“I don’t have the book at present. I don’t know where the book has disappeared to,” she told the Commission.

“When did that book disappear, Mrs. Beverley? Which month and which year was that?” questioned Lord Gifford. “Just after the threat of the hurricane…last year…around August, when we moved the documents. When I looked for it, it was not there anymore,” she told the Commission.

“Have you appreciated, Mrs. Beverley, that the contents of that book, in so far as they relate to the Christopher Coke extradition, may be of importance to this Commission?” the Attorney-at-Law further questioned. “Yes,” Mrs. Beverley answered.

She then told the Commission that she has searched for the book, but has not been able to find it.

Lord Gifford then submitted to Chairman of the Commission, Emil George Q.C., that he instruct his secretary to call the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Justice and ask that the book is produced and handed over to the Commission. Mr. George agreed.

In the meantime, Lord Gifford further suggested to Mrs. Beverley that her recollection of the events of August 25, 2009 might be faulty.

Mrs. Beverley previously testified that Deputy DPP Jeremy Taylor visited her office on the day in question, accompanied by a police officer with the extradition documents. She said that after they left, the police officer returned without Mr. Taylor, at which point he was handed the documents. After receiving the documents, the officer signed the book customarily provided for that purpose.  

Lord Gifford suggested that it was Mr. Taylor who signed for the documents, but Mrs. Beverley denied this, maintaining that it was the police officer who signed for the documents. She said Mr. Taylor returned to her office after the officer had left with the documents. He brought with him a letter to which was attached an authority to proceed.