There are ten (10) public holidays scheduled for Jamaica in 2017. The Holidays (Public General) Act stipulates the days on which these public holidays occur. According to the Act, if New Year’s Day, Emancipation Day, Independence Day and Christmas Day falls on a Sunday, then the holiday will be observed on the following Monday.
National Labour Day is commemorated on the 23rd day of May. If the 23rd day of May falls on a Saturday or Sunday, then this holiday will be observed on the following Monday.
National Heroes Day will be observed on the 3rd Monday in the month of October.
The public holidays for 2017 are as follows:
- New Year’s Day – Sunday, January 1; to be observed on Monday, January 2
- Ash Wednesday – Wednesday, March 1
- Good Friday – Friday, April 14
- Easter Monday – Monday, April 17
- National Labour Day – Tuesday, May 23
- Emancipation Day – Tuesday, August 1
- Independence Day – Sunday, August 6; to be observed on Monday, August 7
- National Heroes Day – Monday, October 16
- Christmas Day – Monday, December 25
- Boxing Day – Tuesday, December 26
For additional information please contact:
Ministry of Labour and Social Security
1F North Street
1 (876) 922-9500-14
1 (876) 922-6902 (fax)
1 (876) 922-0996 (fax)