The Electronic Business Registration Form (eBRF), launched by the Companies Office of Jamaica (COJ) on August 7, 2019, is Jamaica’s new online business registration platform replacing the manual paper registration form.
The first online business registration form in the Caribbean, it is expected to modernise and improve Jamaica’s investment environment, as it simplifies the registration process for investors wanting to do business in the island. The system allows registration of businesses or companies from anywhere in the world using the 24-hour eBRF portal. It is also expected to contribute positively to a greener environment.
Features of the eBRF System
The eBRF boasts several features, including:
• Online payment using the COJ eBank subscription, which is a virtual account provided by the COJ. It allows clients to load funds using a Visa debit card or a credit card to pay for the services they are utilising. Individuals who do not have a credit or debit card may visit the COJ and top up their account with cash in order to use the system.
• Data protection and traceability of documents throughout the registration process.
• Smart wizard technology, which assists users with the registration process by making the application form more user-friendly and minimising errors.
How to Use the eBRF
1. Persons may access the system via the Internet using a computer or smartphone. They will also need a scanner to upload documents (in the absence of a scanner, high quality photographs of documents are also accepted for upload).
2. Persons who wish to use the system – but do not have access to a computer or smart phone – may do so at the eBRF kiosk provided at the COJ office in Kingston.
To register a business, visit the COJ’s website at www.ocrjamaica.com, click on the online business registration link, select ‘service link’ and complete the steps required. Following payment, customers will be asked to verify the information and will also be able track the progress of their registration.
When the certificate is ready, the signee will receive an online notification, phone call, or text message. Certificates may be delivered by courier, or collected from the COJ in person or by a bearer.
For additional information, contact:
Companies Office of Jamaica (COJ)
1 Grenada Way