The National Housing Trust (NHT) is the organisation set up by the Government of Jamaica to provide housing solutions to its contributors at affordable interest rates. As part of their mandate, the NHT has developed initiatives to make it easier for contributors with a disability to own a home. These initiatives are outlined below.
Special Disabilities Grant
A $150,000 grant is provided to mortgagors who are disabled or who reside with and are responsible for relatives having a disability. The grant is used to upgrade the dwellings of the disabled person and can only be applied to the mortgaged property.
Interest Rate Discount
- Disabled persons earning a weekly income of $42,000.99 or less can access a loan at an interest rate of 0%.
- If the disabled individual earns $42,001.00 or more, the interest rate is 2%.
- A new mortgagor who is the parent of a disabled child, will benefit from a 2% interest rate.
Special Reservations in NHT Scheme Developments
The Trust reserves housing solutions (serviced lots/units) in its scheme developments for persons with disabilities. Members of the Jamaica Council for Persons with Disabilities (JCPD) will then have the option to select from the available units.
Individuals must be registered with the JCPD in order to access benefits; this is in addition to meeting the general NHT loan criteria.
To qualify for a NHT loan, persons must:
- Be currently contributing to the Trust
- Have made at least 52 weekly contributions of which 13 must have been made in the last 26 weeks just before the date of your application
- Be between the ages 18 and 70
- Be earning an income which enables one to repay
For further Information, contact:
National Housing Trust
4 Park Boulevard, Kingston 5
Telephone: (876) 929-6500 – 9/876) 960-4013-23
Jamaica Council for Persons with Disabilities
18 Ripon Road