JIS News

Story Highlights

  • The Government has deactivated the National and Parish Emergency Operation Centres and closed all shelters that were opened in light of the inclement weather associated with Tropical Storm Earl.
  • This was disclosed by Minister of Local Government and Community Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie during a press conference at the Office of the Prime Minister in Kingston today (August 3).
  • The Local Government Minister urged Jamaicans to continue to be vigilant, particularly in light of the hurricane season, which ends in November.

The Government has deactivated the National and Parish Emergency Operation Centres and closed all shelters that were opened in light of the inclement weather associated with Tropical Storm Earl.

This was disclosed by Minister of Local Government and Community Development, Hon. Desmond McKenzie during a press conference at the Office of the Prime Minister in Kingston today (August 3).

“Based on the information provided and based on what we have seen, it is, therefore, not necessary for us to have the operations continuing at this time,” he said.

The Local Government Minister said significant rainfall and flooding occurred in parishes such as St. James, St. Mary and Portland. He noted as well that other parishes experienced significant rainfall.

Mr. McKenzie informed that several persons visited shelters islandwide but returned home after they realised that the island would not have been severely affected by the storm.

The National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) has been in operation since 6:00 p.m. on August 1, following the instructions of the Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness for it to be activated.

Several agencies are represented on the NEOC, including the Jamaica Constabulary Force, Jamaica Defence Force, Jamaica Fire Brigade, Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Jamaica Red Cross, National Works Agency, Ministry of Health, and Jamaica Information Service.

In the meantime, Minister McKenzie commended all the stakeholders that make up the NEOC for their prompt and efficient response to the threats from Tropical Storm Earl.

He also lauded other entities such as the National Water Commission, the National Solid Waste Management Authority, the National Works Agency, Digicel, Red Cross and the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC).

He added that based on the reports received, so far, from the parish councils and the National Works Agency (NWA), no major structural damage has occurred that would require substantial funding.

The Local Government Minister urged Jamaicans to continue to be vigilant, particularly in light of the hurricane season, which ends in November.

“We are in the hurricane season and there will be a certain level of proactiveness by the Ministry of Local Government in response to what we expect during the next couple of months,” he said.

The Tropical Storm Warning for the island was discontinued yesterday (August 2) evening by the Meteorological Service as significant improvement in weather conditions is now being experienced.