Advertisement
JIS News

Story Highlights

  • There has been a ten percent (10%) decline in the number of children reported missing for the period January to December 2014 when compared to the corresponding period in 2013.
  • During the period January to December 2014, 1,984 children were reported missing while a total of 2,205 children who were reported missing in 2013.
  • A year over year decline of 50% was recorded in the number of children who were reported dead with a reduction from 14 in 2013 to seven in 2014.

The Office of the Children’s Registry (OCR) is pleased to announce that preliminary statistics as reported to us by the Missing Person Monitoring Unit (MPMU) of the Jamaica Constabulary (JCF) indicate that there has been a ten percent (10%) decline in the number of children reported missing for the period January to December 2014 when compared to the corresponding period in 2013. During the period January to December 2014, 1,984 children were reported missing while a total of 2,205 children who were reported missing in 2013.

Of the total number of children reported missing in 2014, 79% were females, while the remaining 21% were males. The data also revealed that approximately nine out of every 10 children reported missing in 2014 have since returned home. In addition, it has been observed that there was a noteworthy decline of 57% in the number of children who were still missing when compared to the corresponding period in 2013. The number of children reported still being missing at the end of December 2014 declined by 214 children, from the 467 recorded at the end of that same period in 2013.

A year over year decline of 50% was recorded in the number of children who were reported dead with a reduction from 14 in 2013 to seven in 2014.  Registrar at the OCR, Mr. Greig Smith, says “the missing children statistics recorded for 2014 when compared to 2013 support the fact that the Ananda Alert system is indeed working effectively. This is very encouraging to the team at the OCR as we continue to strive for improvements in child care and protection in this country. We look forward to even greater successes as we urge citizens across the country to collaborate with us in safeguarding our children.”

In the meantime, the Registrar also wishes to advise members of the public who would have received a photograph of a missing child (Neisha Chambers) which was being circulated via Whatsapp and possibly other social platforms of the following:  Six year old Neisha was reported missing on Friday January 9, 2015 by her mother. The Office of the Children’s Registry (OCR) has been in dialogue with the child’s mother and the Missing Persons Monitoring Unit (MPMU) of the JCF and can confirm that the child was recovered on that same day (January 9, 2015). Persons who may still be circulating the image of said child as missing should be guided accordingly.

The Ananda Alert, which is the nationwide system used for the safe and speedy recovery of missing children, was transferred to the Ministry of Youth and Culture on March 1, 2013 and the responsibility for its operations was given to the OCR. The OCR works very closely with the Missing Persons Monitoring Unit of the Jamaica Constabulary Force to appropriately action all missing children reports that are made to us. The Office of the Children’s Registry also wishes to remind members of the public to report all cases of known or suspected missing of abused children to the Registry. Persons may do so by calling: Toll free-1-888-PROTECT (7768328). All reports received are kept confidential and you do not have to give your name when making a report.

Skip to content