JIS News

Minister of Labour and Social Security, Hon. Derrick Kellier, says 175 of the 478 persons who were engaged under the Workforce Intervention aspect of the Jamaica Emergency Employment Programme (JEEP), have retained employment.

Mr. Kellier, who was making his contribution to the 2013/14 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives on Tuesday, June 4, explained that as one of the implementing agencies, the Ministry embarked on the programme, as a part of the national objective for job creation and employment generation.

An income of $6,000 per week was paid for three months by the Ministry and matched by the employers for an additional three months.

“This amount was above the minimum wage and so, would have placed the participants in a better wage category when compared to others,” the Minister pointed out.

Mr. Kellier said that in his dialogue with many of the 200 employers who participated, there was very positive feedback with all expressing an interest in the continuity of the programme.

He noted that due to the gains of JEEP in the Ministry, a decision has been taken to continue this programme with a $50 million budget.

The JEEP was launched by Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Portia Simpson Miller, on March 22 last year, in Kingston.

It is one of the strategies of the Government to respond to the chronic unemployment status of some Jamaicans, particularly those in the lower socio-economic strata, persons with special needs as well as those with low skills levels.

Contact: Alphea Saunders