JIS News

Minister of Education and Youth, Maxine Henry Wilsonhas said that next year’s three-day closure of five educational institutions surrounding Sabina Park, will not impact negatively on the learning process of students attending those schools.
The closure is being done to satisfy security stipulations by the organisers of Cricket World Cup (CWC) 2007.
Responding to concerns expressed by Opposition Spokesman on Finance, Audley Shaw during yesterday’s (Oct. 24) sitting of the House, in relation to the anticipated closure of a number of schools during the hosting of the cricket games at Sabina Park, the Minister assured that educators at the schools, as well as parents and students, had already been given advance notice at the start of the academic year last month.
“A circular was sent to the schools at the beginning of the school year, which we always do, which says how long the term should run for, and we have advised them,” she informed.
Noting that the decision to close the schools was not hastily arrived at, Mrs. Henry Wilson said the Local Organising Committee (LOC) of Cricket World Cup had initiated meetings with the Ministry of Education and Youth from two years ago.
She disclosed that the committee wrote to the Ministry, “and we have met with them over the period of time. We have gazetted the schools and we have arranged with the schools for them to add on the additional days”.
In the case of students sitting the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT), alternate arrangements have been put in place for them to attend other schools in the environs.
“So, we are quite comfortable with the arrangements..we have met with the principals, the organising committee has met, and they are very comfortable with the arrangements,” the Minister said.
The five schools scheduled for closure during the cricket games, beginning March 12, are Alpha Academy, Alpha Infant and Primary, Jessie Ripoll Primary, Kingston College and St. George’s College.