Advertisement
JIS News

The Bog Walk Gorge in St. Catherine reopened this morning, August 11. The corridor, which had been closed to vehicular traffic since July 4, will reopen at 5 am.

The corridor was closed for one month to allow for the completion of pipe-laying works by the National Water Commission (NWC). In order to facilitate the closure of the roadway, the National Works Agency (NWA) carried out repairs to the alternative route through Barry.

Minister of Transport and Works, Hon Mike Henry, says that while the Gorge will be reopened to vehicular traffic, some works remain outstanding on the section of the corridor between the Old Harbour Road Round-a-Bout and Dam Head.

The Works Minister says that this work, which is to complement the effort in the Gorge, is to be undertaken with funds diverted from another project. The NWC had been asked to assist with the repaving of the area, but denied this request.

Minister Henry says that he is asking commuters to be patient, as the NWA, over the next five days, will be carrying work to ease the difficulties that persons may experience while using the road.

In the meantime, Mr. Henry says the rail service between Linstead and Spanish Town will continue. He says that this decision was taken Wednesday, during a meeting with trade unions who represent workers of the Jamaica Railway Corporation (JRC).

He said that a Submission will be taken to Cabinet this month, for further discussions on the way forward with the rail service.