Advertisement
JIS News

Story Highlights

  • The Transport, Works, and Housing Ministry is slated construct a new two-lane bridge at Pear Tree River in Eastern St. Thomas, at a cost of approximately $49.5 million.
  • The new structure, to be built over the next six months, will replace the existing Harbour Head Bridge, which was erected in 1889, and has fallen into disrepair.

The Transport, Works, and Housing Ministry is slated construct a new two-lane bridge at Pear Tree River in Eastern St. Thomas, at a cost of approximately $49.5 million.

The new structure, to be built over the next six months, will replace the existing Harbour Head Bridge, which was erected in 1889, and has fallen into disrepair.

Its replacement, to be funded from the Ministry’s Capital ‘A’ Budget, results from representation made by Health Minister and Eastern St. Thomas Member of Parliament, Hon. Dr. Fenton Ferguson, who underscored the “clear and present danger” which the existing bridge poses for motorists and pedestrians traversing it.

The single-lane Harbour Head Bridge, which also serves residents of Golden Grove, Port Morant, and parish capital Morant Bay, was declared unfit for use by the National Works Agency (NWA), which is implementing the project.

State Minister for Transport, Works, and Housing, Hon. Richard Azan was on hand to witness the signing of contracts by Chief Technical Director (Housing) in the Ministry, Doreen Prendergast; NWA Chief Executive Officer, E.G. Hunter; and Managing Director for Alcar Construction and Haulage Company Limited, which will execute the works, Junior Leslie, during a ceremony at Pear Tree River Methodist Church, on Friday, August 7.

Delivering brief remarks, Mr. Azan underscored the importance of and need for the bridge’s replacement, having viewed its current state, first-hand.

In this regard, he urged the contractor to ensure its completion on time and within budget, while inviting residents and other community stakeholders to cooperate in facilitating the project’s smooth implementation.

For his part, Dr. Ferguson, expressed gratitude to the Transport, Works, and Housing Ministry for accommodating the project, in light of  what he said was Harbour Head’s exclusion from the original list of bridges earmarked for repairs or replacement in the 2015/16 Budget,  as outlined in Parliament earlier this year by Portfolio Minister, Dr. the Hon. Omar Davies.

“After…consultations, they came to a position, in conjunction with the National Works Agency that it had to happen this year… (and) I want to thank them,” Dr. Ferguson said, while thanking the residents for their patience, “because I know you have waited long.”

The project’s implementation was also welcomed by St. Thomas Parish Council Chairman and Morant Bay Mayor, Councillor Ludlow Mathison, who attended the ceremony.