Parish Profile: Hanover

Parish Name: Hanover

Capital: Lucea

Land Area: 450.8 sq km (174.1 sq mi)

Population: 69,874

History

Jamaica’s second smallest parish, Hanover was established in 1725 and was named for the reigning monarch on the British throne, George I, who was from the House of Hanover in Germany. The capital town, Lucea has been known by many names and stretches along the western side of a horseshoe-shaped bay, which is considered to be one of the island’s safest ports. From the hills overlooking Lucea Harbour, one can observe an expansive panorama of the bay. Similarly, the view from the Dolphin Head Mountain provides an extensive vista of the other parishes in the western side of the island.

Hanover sometimes does not get credit for its beauty and charm, and is often overshadowed by the nearby tourist destination of Montego Bay. Nevertheless it shares the Negril strip with its southern neighbour Westmoreland and many of the rich and famous tiptoe into the parish at the Round Hill Hotel and the Tryall Beach and Country Club thinking that they are still in Montego Bay.

Geographical Location

Hanover rounds off the north-western tip of the island. It lies to the west of St. James and to the north of Westmoreland. The capital, Lucea, is situated on a beautiful harbour 25 miles west of Montego Bay and midway between Montego Bay and Negril.

The highest point is Birch Hill (1810 ft or 550.2 m), followed by Dolphin Head (1789 ft or 543.8 m). Numerous caves, coves and bays mark the coastline of Hanover.

Main towns

Green Island is a small town located on the west coast between Negril and Lucea close to Orange Bay. It was once a thriving market town in the days when sugar was king.

Sandy Bay is a seaside town found in the northern section of the parish. The famous Tryall Estate is situated on the main road between Hopewell and Sandy Bay, Hanover.

Hopewell is a settlement and fishing village located 15 km west of Montego Bay. Its main tourist attraction is Round Hill Jamaica, a resort located on the beach front in the eastern side of the settlement.