According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), coronaviruses (CoV) are a family of viruses known to cause respiratory illnesses ranging in severity from the common cold to Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.
The virus can be transmitted from animals to humans and between humans by physical contact or through the air.
Symptoms of the virus include acute onset of fever (over 38 degrees Celsius) and flu-like symptoms, including coughing and sneezing, as well as breathing difficulties.
Additional ventilators for treating coronavirus (COVID-19) patients are slated to arrive in the island this week, to bring the number in the public health system
Montego Bay Mayor, Councillor Homer Davis, says the St. James Municipal Corporation, which he chairs, remains resolute in the quest to contain the spread of
One hundred additional temporary workers have been employed to continue the sanitization and cleaning exercise being carried out at infirmaries and golden age homes islandwide.
The Ministry of Local Government and Community Development has provided $50 million to truck water to municipalities islandwide. This was disclosed by portfolio Minister, Hon.
The Government has provided an additional 100-bed shelter on Church Street in downtown Kingston for homeless persons in the Corporate Area. This arrangement has been
The Government’s $10 billion COVID Allocation of Resources for Employees (CARE) Programme is slated for roll-out on Thursday (April 9), when target beneficiaries are invited
How to Protect Yourself and Others
The methods of preventing or decreasing the spread of the coronavirus are numerous. The Ministry of Health and Wellness (MOHW) recommends practising good personal hygiene and food safety, and exercising caution while travelling as vital ways to avoid the potentially deadly virus.
Practise Good Personal Hygiene
– Wash hands with soap and clean water or sanitise with an alcohol-based rub frequently, but especially after coming into contact with someone exhibiting flu-like symptoms; before and after preparing food; before eating and when hands are visibly dirty.
– Cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
– Discard tissues and properly wash fabrics that have been used to blow the nose.
Practise Food Safety
– Thoroughly cook meat and eggs.
– Thoroughly wash fruits and vegetables.
– Avoid unprotected contact with live animals and animal carcasses.
– Use clean utensils and surfaces when preparing food.
– Properly wash hands before and after preparing food.
– Do not consume animals that are sick or that have died of disease.
On this edition of Get the Facts the Ministry of Health shares with us what is being done to slow the transmission of COVID 19
Since the introduction of the coronavirus COVID-19 to Jamaica, travelling in and out of and within the island is under greater scrutiny, to contain the
On this programme we’ll take a look at how the outbreak of COVID-19 in Jamaica applies to the Beauty Industries including salons and barbershops. Press
As the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread at a rapid pace, countries across the world are implementing various measures continue to implement measures to contain
Due to the community spread of the novel coronavirus COVID-19, classes have been suspended at all public schools for 14 days to contain it. The