Preparations for students to return to school are now underway. Transitioning from summer holidays to the new school year may not be easy for parents. Here are some tips that can help to ease the process:
• Shop for school supplies with your children to help them to get excited about the new school year.
• Look out for book exchange fairs – you may get books at a discounted rate or free. Buy used books if possible or borrow books from parents who previously bought the books.
• Bedtime is usually later during the summer holidays. In the week before school reopens, reset bedtime to the time used during the school year.
• For children entering a new school, ensure that they are present at all required orientation events. This will allow them to become familiar with the school and help to ease the anxiety that comes with attending a new school.
• Discuss with your child what to do in case of an emergency. Ensure that he or she has the telephone number where you can be reached at all times.You may also speak with the school’s administration to get information about their individual plans of action during emergencies.
• Talk to your child about any concerns he or she might have about returning to school.
• Before school begins, make the school’s administration aware of any special circumstances related to your child.