Mr Speaker, I feel especially privileged to report the achievements of the Justice Ministry as well as to present our plans for even more achievements and improvements. I am particularly privileged to appear in this Honourable House on behalf of the Constituents of North East St. Andrew and will continue to serve them diligently and steadfastly.
I express my heartfelt appreciation to the Prime Minister, The Most Honourable Andrew Holness, for his confidence in my ability to reform and lead the Justice Sector.
I also acknowledge my hard-working team at the Ministry of Justice, capably led by Permanent Secretary, Mrs Sancia Bennett Templer, for their commitment to delivering justice services to our citizens and for quickly adjusting our operations so that we could continue to serve our people during the recent COVID-19 pandemic.
I want to extend, in particular, my gratitude to the Chief Justice, the Honourable Mr. Justice Bryan Sykes, other members of the Judiciary, as well as their support staff for working so ardently to improve Court service delivery to our citizens.
Certainly, his visionary leadership has put Jamaica’s Court System on the trajectory to become the best in the Caribbean and one of the best in the world.
The Ministry of Justice will support the judiciary and the court system fully as we journey towards a first class justice system.
I am grateful to the:
• President of the Court of Appeal, The Honourable Mr. Justice C. Dennis Morrison;
• Appeal Judges and the Court of Appeal staff;
• Attorney General, Mrs. Marlene Malahoo-Forte;
• Solicitor General, Mrs. Marlene Aldred and the staff of the Attorney General’s Chambers;
• Director of Public Prosecutions, Ms. Paula Llewellyn and her staff; and
• Director, Court Administration Division, Mrs. Tricia Cameron-Anglin and her staff
for their sterling contribution to the advancement of the work of the Courts and the Justice System.
• Mr Speaker, the justice team, comprises not just divisions at Central Ministry, but also affiliated agencies, all of which contributed to the overall achievements for the last fiscal year.Download Full Speech