Advertisement
JIS News

Mayor of Kingston, Councillor Desmond McKenzie, has announced that the scope of work to be done at the Coronation Market has been expanded, as the Government is set to receive private sector support for the project.
He made the announcement as he toured sections of the market and the May Pen Cemetery, in West Kingston, today (June 15).
Demolition work is currently taking place in sections of the market, which were affected by fire during last month’s operation in West Kingston by members of the security forces. The work began on Monday (June 14), as part of the Government’s efforts to restore normalcy to the market.
“By the beginning of October, you will see a new-look Coronation market and it will be in everybody’s interest to ensure that the new-look Coronation market is maintained,” he said, adding that a “massive renovation” of the market would be carried out.
Meanwhile, the State Minister in charge of Local Government, Hon. Robert Montague, said his Department would also be providing support in the restoration of the market.
“We have offered the Kingston and St. Andrew Corporation (KSAC) some critical support in doing the initial preliminary work and help with the designs. We have also undertaken to give a very limited rehabilitation grant to some of the vendors who have been affected, and some small business persons, as well as assistance through the Poor Relief Department for persons with medication,” he said.
Last week, Prime Minister, the Hon. Bruce Golding, while on tour of the market, had announced the Government’s intention to seek private sector support to help with the transformation of the market.