JIS News

The new Roaring River water treatment plant, located in central Westmoreland, was commissioned into service yesterday (February 22), by Minister of Water and Housing, Donald Buchanan.
The project was implemented at a cost of $145 million and forms part of the south-east Westmoreland Water Supply System, which is scheduled to provide an additional 2 million gallons of potable water to several communities in central and eastern Westmoreland, including Cornwall Mountain, Barney Side, Shettlewood, and Mackfield.
Speaking at the commissioning ceremony, Minister Buchanan said that water was the fuel that drove development and was an integral part of the groundwork, which was necessary before increased efficient production could take place. “In Westmoreland, this particular project marks a significant step forward. Today the commissioning will result in two million gallons of water daily being added to the output from the Roaring River treatment plant. This means that water will be pumped into the hills of eastern Westmoreland for 24 hours instead of six hours, benefiting hundreds of households,” the Minister said.
He pointed out that the Roaring River water treatment plant, which was a “slow sand treatment plant and distribution system,” fell in line with the new direction the Ministry of Water and Housing was taking with water management, that of improving water quality and service delivery of water.
“The latest statistics from the Jamaica Survey of Living Conditions 2002, indicate that the country’s access to piped water stood at 78 per cent, which has surpassed the Millennium target. In another four years, 85 per cent of the people of Jamaica will have access to piped water but we are not forgetting the other 15 per cent, as we are going to employ other modalities to ensure that clean, safe, potable water is available to every Jamaican community by the year 2010,” Mr. Buchanan noted.
The Minister stressed that modern, well-managed water systems along with proper housing, would enhance living conditions, and along with the other necessary factors of production, such as a well trained and educated workforce, investments would be attracted to the region.
Mr. Buchanan encouraged citizens to become more aware of how they could be a part of the process and to practise water conservation.

Skip to content