Historic Port Royal to Become Cruise Ship Destination


Minister of Transport and Works, Hon. Michael Henry, yesterday (April 22) revealed plans to transform the historic town of Port Royal into a thriving cruise tourist destination, as part of plans to attract more visitors to Kingston.
The Minister said he will be meeting with representatives from the internationally renowned Carnival Cruise Lines on May 11 in order to iron out an agreement for the cruise liner to take passengers to the well-known destination.
“Indeed, Port Royal will be the key to the opening up of the City of Kingston for us to again welcome cruise passengers,” he stated.
He was addressing the launch of the $465 million ‘Palisadoes Shoreline Protection and Rehabilitation Works’ programme at Palisadoes Road in Kingston.
The project, which is set to begin in July this year, will repair and protect the Palisadoes roadway and shoreline against storm surges and heavy rainfall. The Palisadoes main road is the only access route to Kingston’s major airport, the Norman Manley International Airport (NMIA), as well as Port Royal. However the roadway has been under threat from hurricanes and storm surges for some time.
The project will be executed by Chinese maritime contractors, China Harbour Engineering Co. Ltd. (CHEC), with the Chinese Government providing 85 per cent financing through the Chinese EX-IM Bank, while the Jamaican Government will supply the remaining 15 per cent.
Minister without Portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister, with responsibility for Information, Telecommunication and Special Projects, Hon. Daryl Vaz, in his remarks at the launch, said that the project will create employment for many Jamaicans.
“At a time like this, with the economic constraints .I think we really owe a big round of applause to Minister Henry, the members of his Ministry, the National Works Agency, Government of China and of course China Harbour,” he stated.
Minister Henry in the meantime assured road users that there will be minimal disruptions while the work is being done.
He told the gathering that the Palisadoes project will bring to reality, a number of other programmes set to be implemented along the island’s south eastern coastline. These include protective works in St. Thomas for which a contract was recently signed, as well as work to be done on the bridge at Harbour View.
He said in late July to early August, the first floating dry dock for Jamaica will also be built at Harbour View.
The Transport and Works Minister further disclosed plans to intensify the development of Kingston’s ports to take advantage of the steady increase in the volume of shipping.
“But the shipping will not be the main aspect of it,” he stated. “Logistics centres will follow where you break bulk cargo and you begin to ship outwards. we’re going to intensify the cargo handling at Norman Manley (International Airport),” he informed.
“We’re going to make Norman Manley the microcosm of some of the developments, which must take place at Verman Field,” he added.

JIS Social