The Hon. L. Michael Henry OJ., C.D., M.P. has been the Member of Parliament for the Constituency of Central Clarendon since 1980.
As of June 18, 2020, Mr Henry is the Minister of Labour and Social Security. He was Minister without portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister from March 27, 2018 until June 17, 2020.
Mr. Henry was Minister without Portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister. He was Minister of Transport & Mining from 2016 to March 2018. He served as Minister of Transport and Works from 2007 -2011; Chairman and Member of the Public Accounts Committee from 1997-2007; Shadow Minister of Transport from 1993-2007; Shadow Minister of Local Government from 1989-1993; Minister of State for Culture from 1983-1989 and Minister of State for Tourism from 1981-1983.
In 2002, Mr. Henry was awarded the Order of Distinction, in the rank of Commander (CD), for his Twenty years of service to the Parliament of Jamaica. In 1998, Mr. Henry was also awarded the Silver Musgrave Award for Literature.
Mr. Henry’s Professional Excellence Summary includes the following Publications:
Editor-“Every Student Handbook”
Author- “Caribbean Cocktails and Mixed Drinks” & “White Witch of Rosehall”
Co-Author –“LMH Dictionary Series”, Marley and Me”, “Beautiful Jamaica”,
“Jamaica in Pictures” “Reggae Road to Soccer Glory: Jamaica
World cup” and “Bonechi Jamaica”
Compiler- “ Bustamante: Portrait of a Hero”
Contributor – “Insight Guide Jamaica”
His Notable Accomplishments includes:
- Advisor to the Ministry of Education in Bahamas, published the school’s Mathematics book series utilizing the local currencies; the Science book series and an Atlas series using the local Geography instead of the usual World Map representation.
- Published first Integrated Science Books for Schools in Jamaica.
- Founded Re-known Authors including Morris Cargill and John Hearn.
- First to seek Political decision on Reparation by moving a motion in Parliament.
- Among First visitor to Cuba following its revolution, to formally handover to the Minister of Education, books seized from Forty Six (46) Publishers he represented then.
- Founder of the Creative Production Training Centre which is now the Caribbean’s leading Multi-Media Production and Training facility (CPTC).
- Committee Chairman for Telecommunication Transformation Group advocating National Awareness of Intellectual Property Rights in the Promotion and Marketing of the Local Culture.
- Requested to make comments on a script for the first James Bond Movie.
- Placed second ahead of Peat Moss and Paddy Hopkiss in the first Thousand Mile Car Racing Rally Jamaica, as a driver for BMW.
Minister Henry has had a long and distinguished career as a visionary and a pioneer.
Minister Henry is also an accomplished Compiler, Author and Publisher. He has a long career as a Community Activist and Politician committed to the promotion of Youth and his Constituents. He continues to advocate strongly for Reparation to Jamaicans.
Mr. Henry is the proud father of four children, and he is currently married to Dawn Henry CEO of LMH Publishing, Kingston