30 Members of JCF Working Fulltime on Woolmer Case

Some 30 members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) have been working fulltime on the investigation into the murder of Pakistani Cricket Coach, Bob Woolmer, in addition to two officers from the Pakistani police who arrived in the island last week.
Deputy Commissioner of Police for Crime, Mark Shields made this disclosure at a press conference at the Police Officers Club on Hope Road today (April 14).The arrival of the Pakistani police officers forms part of assistance from overseas, which has included a team from Scotland Yard. Mr. Shields said that the two officers from Pakistan were in the island to observe, monitor and assist in the inquiry, in any way possible. “There are a number of outstanding inquiries that we need to make with Pakistan team members and in Pakistan in general and by having those officers here, it means that we can expedite those inquiries,” he informed.
“They too are part of the team and they will be given office accommodation with the other officers and they will work closely with us,” the Deputy Commissioner added.
Meanwhile, arrangements are being put in place for local sleuths to travel to various countries at some point, as the investigation is expected to broaden. “Bob Woolmer came from the United Kingdom, he worked for the Pakistan team and lived in South Africa, so there are at least three countries already that I can think of, where it will be necessary under any circumstances,” he stated.
“On top of that, many of the witnesses are still within the Caribbean as Cricket World Cup goes on and it is our intention to speak to as many of those people as possible. Therefore, that is the reason we wish to deal with this as quickly as possible as once the cricket is finished, those people will disappear to the four corners of the globe and therefore it is in our interest to speak to them as soon as we can,” Mr. Shields said.
As it stands now, more than 100 statements have been taken from witnesses. Mr. Woolmer, who was 58 years old, was declared dead at the University Hospital of the West Indies after being found unconscious in his room at the Jamaica Pegasus. A pathologist report showed that death was due to asphyxia, as a result of manual strangulation.

JIS Social