Each year the Government has continued to implement strategies to move the country towards realising the National Goals outlined in the Vision 2030 Jamaica – National Development Plan.
National Goal #2
The second National Goal of Vision 2030 Jamaica is to make “the Jamaican society […] secure, cohesive and just.” Under this goal the National Outcomes are:
- Security and Safety
- Effective Governance
Over the period 2009-2016, the Government has done the following and more towards the achievement of these outcomes:
- Installation of closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras in major towns.
- Launching of the Stay Alert mobile application which enables persons to send information to the police. It is also equipped with a panic mode to alert law enforcement when in a situation of danger.
- Establishing several mobile stations to increase community access to the police.
- Acquisition of motor vehicles, body cameras and other less lethal equipment to assist the Jamaica Constabulary Force in carrying out its duty.
- Passing of the Representation of the People (Amendment) Act, 2016.
- Passing of the Legal Reform (Miscellaneous Amendments) (Restorative Justice) Act, 2016.
- Conducting awareness campaigns through the Access to Information Unit to let Jamaicans know and understand their right to access Government documents.
It is also important to note that the National Task Force Against Trafficking In Persons (NATFATIP) is now ranked in Tier Two in the United States Department of State 2016 Trafficking In Persons Report. This means the country is making strides in tackling human trafficking and is on the way to full compliance with international trafficking laws and standards.
For more information visit www.vision2030.gov.jm