Vision 2030 Jamaica – National Development Plan has four (4) National Goals. These goals are to ensure that:
- Jamaicans are empowered to achieve their fullest potential.
- The Jamaican society is secure, cohesive and just.
- Jamaica’s economy is prosperous.
- Jamaica has a healthy natural environment.
The Ministries, Departments and Agencies of Government contribute to the achievement of the National Goals.
National Goal #1
For National Goal #1 there are four (4) National Outcomes:
- A healthy and stable population
- World-class education and training
- Effective social protection
- Authentic and transformational culture
For the period 2009-2016, the Government has implemented various measures to help achieve National Goal #1. These have included:
- A no user-fee policy in public hospitals.
- Free, compulsory measles vaccination for children ages 1-6 as a proactive measure along with increased access to the flu vaccine by a wider group of Jamaicans.
- The renovation of primary and secondary health care facilities to improve medical administration.
- The training of teachers to administer the new National Standard Curriculum to Grades 7, 8 and 9.
- The expansion of several secondary schools and the opening of new schools at the infant, primary and secondary levels across the island.
- Extension of the Programme of Advancement Through Health and Education (PATH) to benefit more individuals through scholarships, grants, training and employment opportunities.
- The passing of the National Disabilities Act to govern the inclusion and participation of persons with disabilities in contributing to the society and economy.
- Protection of the Blue and John Crow Mountains as a World Heritage Site.
- The re-launch of the Creative Production Training Centre’s (CPTC) Jam-Vision cable channel to promote Jamaican cultural content within the Caribbean and globally.
For more information on Vision 2030 Jamaica, go to www.vision2030.gov.jm