Persons overseas who are applying for a Jamaican passport must submit their application to the relevant Jamaican Embassy or Consulate. The embassy will then send the application to the Passport Immigration & Citizenship agency (PICA) for processing.
Processing of applications will be approximately four (4) to six (6) weeks. The issued passport may be collected from the Embassy or Consulates or mailed at the request of applicants. Application forms are available from the Embassy or any Jamaican Consulate either in person or requested by mail.
Eligibility for a Jamaican passport is based on proof of Jamaican Citizenship. All applicants are therefore required to submit one (or more) of the following documents as applicable:
- Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
- Certificate of Registration
- Certified Copy of Adoption Certificate
- Letter of Certification of Citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
Persons claiming Jamaican citizenship by Descent must have their claim established prior to the submission of their application for a passport.
The documents required are:
- Applicant’s Birth Certificate
- Proof of Parent’s Jamaican Citizenship
- Parent’s Marriage Certificate (where applicable)
Applicants are also required to provide one of the following supplementary identification documents:
- National Voter’s Identification
- Driver’s Licence
- Previous Passport
- Other identification issued by a competent authority
- Any name change must be substantiated by documentary evidence
- A Deed Poll or other legal document must be produced to substantiate the change of name. A married or divorced woman, who has acquired her spouse’s surname, is required to submit a certified copy of her Marriage Certificate
All first time applicants must visit the Consulate General to be interviewed by a Consular Officer.
Fees should be remitted by Money Order or Certified Cheque made payable to the Embassy of Jamaica.
New/Renewal – Adults = US$80; £50
New/Renewal – Minors –= US$50; £30
Lost/Stolen/Damaged – Adults = US$160; £100
Lost/Stolen/Damaged – Minors = US$100; £50
*Please note that all fees are subject to change without notice.
N.B. Applications for the renewal of a passport must be accompanied by the expired passport. If the renewal is necessary because there are no more available pages, the current passport must be submitted.
For additional information contact the nearest Jamaican Embassy or Consulate.
Passport Immigration & Citizenship Agency (PICA)
25c Constant Spring Road
Kingston 10, Jamaica
Tel: (876) 908-0142